- Divorce Attorney
- How to choose the best divorce attorney in Chicago
How to choose the best divorce attorney in Chicago
A divorce can be one of the most life altering, traumatic, and painful events that a person can experience. Even if it is an amicable agreement to end the marriage, you are headed into uncharted waters, and it can be very confusing and stressful at times. You will be dealing with the court system, probably for the first time. Some divorces can be completed without the benefit of a divorce attorney; however, you owe it to yourself to learn what your options and rights are, so you can make informed decisions. This is your first step to self-empowerment and independence.
Choosing the right attorney is one of the most important decisions you will make upon entering the divorce process. It can be overwhelming, as this expert is going to be guiding you through a process that will affect you for the rest of your life. A number of things you should be considered when choosing your attorney:
- You should feel comfortable with this person; you will be discussing highly personal and emotional issues. It should be someone you can trust, if they are guaranteeing outcomes – beware! It is impossible to know with certainty how the court will rule. You should be treated with respect and spoken to in terms that you can understand, not confusing “legalese.”
- You need someone who is well versed in family law. In the past, a general practice could competently handle the proceedings, but family law has grown increasingly complex. A specialist in this area of the law has more experience in protecting their client’s rights, especially when children are involved.
- You want someone who is able to negotiate or be aggressive. If there is too much focus on negotiation, you may forfeit some of your rights if they are not defended. On the other hand, someone that is too aggressive can alienate the judge and the opposing attorney, negatively impacting the outcome of your case.
- They should have comprehensive knowledge of the Chicago court system so they can better predict how the court might rule on any given issue.
The attorneys at David M. Siegel and associates will outline reasonable expectations, but not make promises they cannot keep. They have extensive experience in family law in the Chicago court system. They are well respected by judges and their colleagues, and they will treat you with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Call (847) 520-8100 to schedule a consultation.